The IDEA_formwork is a concentrated representation of the creative process. Starting with raw inputs, we assign attributes and interpret stimuli that we encounter. Through some blackbox process in our mind and being, we connect dots and make leaps of conception/inference. From there we formulate questions and hypotheses that provide the seeds of creative acts. Using these prompts we bring to bear all that we are and have learned to create things that never existed before, thus closing the loop between inputs and outputs.
Step 01 Get needed resources
Step 02 Setup your paper
Step 03 Get your visuals
Step 04 What do you see?
Step 05 Get your random numbers
Step 06 Figure out your IF prompts
Step 07 Make a IF-unit artifact
Step 08 Share with others
Get your first sheet of paper ready by doing one of the following:PDF
- Download IF Unit grid sheet available below
- Printout PDF
- Get a sheet of paper
- Use landscape orientation
- Divide sheet into 8 x 8 grid
- Number top and bottom row boxes 01-16 for Nouns
- Circle numbers 01-16 for Nouns for ease in identification
- Number remaining grid boxes 01-48 for Adjectives/Attributes
Images courtesy of Unsplash
Here are your random images for the next step.
Unsplash.com is the source of the random images above. If they are not showing up:
- It could be that their server is having a temporary issue
- You might have an adblocker that’s blocking Unsplash.com
- Just try reloading the page
- Fill a folder with random images from the internet
- Get collage making software (we use Posterino for macOS)
- Setup a 2×2 grid layout
- Set it to load shuffled images from your random images folder
Free associate the images into Adjectives/Attributes + Nouns.
For each image, come up with:
- 12 x Adjective/Attributes
- 04 x Nouns
Using words that end with “…ed” helps in turning associations into adjectives/attributes. For example: stylized, patterned, etc.
Generate a pair of Random Numbers and create the prompts for the IF-unit creation, then take a 5 min break.
Press the button below to generate your random numbers.
A. 0 – 0 – 0 – 0
B. 0 – 0 – 0 – 0
The numbers above are in the following format:
Attribute – Attribute – Attribute – Noun
Determine the words for your IF-units:
- Search your free association sheet for the word associated with the numbers
- List the found words in the following format for each number set
- Attribute – Attribute – Attribute – Noun
If the corresponding box is empty, simply get the next one to the right. If your at the edge of the sheet, then go the first one on the left side of the row.
Using your second sheet of paper, Create two IF-units based on the prompts.Start Creating for 25 minutes
- Get new sheet of paper
- Use landscape orientation
- Divide paper in half with left + right sides
So you can switch back and forth when you get stuck on one of the IF-units. Also, having the 2 prompts can enable some pretty interesting intersections and combinations in your creative process.
- Main thing is to get the gist of the idea expressed in the time allotted
- Don’t worry about making it look good, you can spend as much time afterward making more refined drawings/renders
- Relax and have fun!
Done? Share your IF-unit with the world.
- Give yourself a pat on the back, that was not easy
- Make a more refined drawing/render of your IF-Units
- Share your IF-Unit with the world
Use the hashtag #ideaformwork along with the design prompt you used to create it.